Sunday, July 14, 2013

Learning from set backs during a tri. Bike Chain drop, wrong turns, and cramping.....

So , I did my first Olympic Tri of the season. I  have done others but it was years ago. I am now 42 , and I remember at age 32 it was easy, so to speak.

The triathlon I just completed was the YMCA Spudman, in Boise , Idaho. The swim was great. July 13, 2013, the surface water was 75 degree in Lucky Peak Resevior. I didn't wear a wet suit and felt awesome. Most all the swimmers wore wetsuits. I think many people feel it helps with their buoyancy. I have been a swimmer all my life. I prefer swimming in my swim suit. Anyway I was 26th fastest out of 95 participants, so I felt my swim went well.

On to the bike, first vertical climb , I am feeling wonderful. Then auggh. My chain falls off. I think ok quick fix, nope , it got stuck between by frame and the last chain wheel. OMG, I ended up bloodying up my hands , yanking the damn thing out for at least 3-4 minutes, while at least 20 people pass me by. So disheartening, as there goes my lead in the swim.

Then about mile 20/25 I take a wrong turn. There just happen to be a cycling group that looked like they were in my race but weren't and I followed them left when I needed to go right, I figured it out about 30 seconds later, so there was another minute lost and probably 5 more people passed me. Auggg!!

I m so disheartened, as I really wanted to see what my true capability was today.
I hit the run, and my mojo is gone. I now Im dehydrated and so try to guzzle water and take a swig of power gel. My first 1-4 miles I have the worse cramp across my ribs, I have to run, walk , run several times , and it doesn't go away until mile 5. I only hold 9:21 minutes miles when I know Im capable of 8:00 miles . I finish, very disheartened.

What did I learn from today.
1. I probably need a better bike, but for now, the  bike mechanic at Tri Town in Boise Idaho, fixed my bike with a gadget that helps keep your chain from dropping. Cool. I hope it helps. It was actually designed by Kristen Armstrong's husband. She is the Olympic Cyclist from Boise , Idaho.
2. Know the course as well as you can.
3. Better hydration is necessary and probably need to start using salt tablets . I talked to several ironmen post race. They generally take 1-2 tablets every 1-2 hours with their water.
4. When mishaps take place , stay calm and keep your head in the game. There are so many variables in the triathlon, many of which you have no control over to a point. Things may happen, will happen, and you just have to keep on moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment