Sunday, July 14, 2013

How to start training for a triathlon.

My background is swimming. I was a competitive swimmer from age 6 to 22. However , I never road biked until after my college years, and did not start running until after my first child was born, at the young age of 27.

To start I think you just make the decision and do it. If you can float, ride a bike, and walk you can do a triathlon.

With everything you should be realistic. Your process should be catered to yourself and your own limitation. You may take  a couple years to feel ready for your first Olympic tri. I started with signing myself up for 5k and 10 k runs and joining a bike club. I was lucky I didn't have to worry about the swim technique , which is 1/2 of the swim .

For those of you whom aren't swimmers the best book out there is

Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin.

For running I think the best book is

CHI Running by Danny Dreyer

and listening to lectures and books  by Jeff Horowitz, a triathlon coach and athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment