Thursday, February 13, 2014

Honey, yes , it is all about the shoe!!! First ,almost injury, Calcaneal bursitis, posterior heal pain.

So, I like to bargain shop, at times I will admit it. But when it comes to certain things I should have known better. When you run and run and run however, it seems you go through 100 dollar running shoes quite quickly. So, I have been running in the Saucany Kinvara 2, and now 3's. For some reason , this is the running shoe for me. I never get foot pain or shin splints, I feel like I have proper form when running in these shoes. So, as the story goes, I found a pair of Saucany Oasis Grid's at a local store for only 30 dollars . I thought hmmm, I suppose I can try them. I wore them for one run and GOT horrible pain in the back of one of my heals. The padding in the heal was too overbuilt for my foot and gave me horrible pain right on my achilles tendon insertion point. Wowser. And as I was trying to figure this out, you can imagine the thoughts going through my head, like Oh great its my achilles tendon, I have a spur, and I have only two months until my Marathon. But , I am happy to say, I never put the pair of shoes back on , I immediately purchased a new pair of Saucany Kinvara (now 4's) and I am not having the pain. Through my research, this is quite common, with runners with poor running gait, or poor fitting shoes, any shoe that may irritate the achilles tendon insertion site. This can even happen with the shoes you wear at work. IT is so important to have the RIGHT pair of shoes. And listen to your body, other concerns with posterior heal pain could be achilles tendinopathy, calcaneal bone spurs , or from plantar fascitis which typically only affects the plantar( bottom surface of the foot, but can affect the entire heal pad.) So , I suppose if you read my stuff , you can learn from my experiences...... On the road to Ironman.. Take home message to tell your husband, yes , honey I have to have the more expensive Shoe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment