Sunday, September 1, 2013

Do you know your SH****T? Literally :)

I have no problem talking about this topic, as I talk to patients all DAY long about their SH*****T. I have heard endless stories from endless people whom cant go, go too much, go in inconvenient places, go weird colors, and on and on.
I have had patients bring in pictures of their SH*****T too.

But seriously speaking now, endurance training and racing can play havoc on YOUR Sh****T. As a Gastroenterology Nurse Practitioner for 10 years and hopeful Ironman, I have decided I would help others learn their SH****T.
I have had to use my medical expertise to figure out my own SH****T, and in doing some research the data suggests that 59% of endurance athletes, especially triathletes, experience bowel dysfunction in training or racing. I think the problem is probably under-reported.

So, I will devote a series on this topic. Just to keep you all waiting on the edge of your seat. There really is alot of physiology and proper nutrition to all this, and being a full time working mother of 4 and wife, I could not possibly sit and write a dissertation today on the entire  topic. That wouldn't be as much fun anyway, as I would love to get other peoples input , comments , etc. :) along the way.

Today , I will leave you with this thought.. Two high contributors to  bowel dysfunction in endurance athletes are dehydration and analgesic use. The how and why later.
Happy training.
I have to get motivated for a long run tomorrow. Hopefully 15 miles, early in the morning before  the temperatures reach 90. If anyone has answers on how to LOVE the run, send them my direction. PLEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment