Wednesday, August 28, 2013

70.3 , a step closer to Ironman 2014 , well....half way there anyway!

Last weekend my husband and I did our 70.3 in Burley, Idaho. The Vikingman.org Great race , well organized and Flat course! The swim was in shallow river, with very little river assist , which completely disappointed my husband. We had competed in the Spudman Olympic tri last month and it was on the other side of the river with Super dooper river assist , so when he realized he was self powered it messed with him some . the river was warm, 75 degrees and really shallow . The bike was a 14 mile loop we had to complete 4 times , flat with some turns that scrubbed some speed ,but flat. the only problem was the goat heads , that unfortunately took out some of the racers. I use the cycling slim tubes which I am starting to swear by. However I did practice changing my tubes the week before the race. The run, flat , but ,hot! I felt like I handled my nutrition well on the bike to set up for the run. I hydrated with poweraide and enduralytes Fizz, and ate 1/2 a PB&J sandwich at mile 38 of the bike. I liked how the peanut butter stuck with me longer then the hammer gel seems too. I felt relatively strong in my run, for me that is. The run is hard!!! My husband says I'm big boned! what every woman wants to hear right. Anyway, I am so envious of the twiggy little 5 foot nothing toothpicks the seem to skip by in the run effortlessly. Me, my goal, is just keep moving forward. In this race I actually tried out the theory of run walk. and actually I passed quite a few people and was only off my best 1/2 marathon run by 13 minutes. considering I completed 57 plus miles prior to this run, I'm pleased!!! Anyway I finished in 5 hours and 41 minutes , and ended up 14th overall fastest of 59 racers, men and woman combined ...... Getting stronger , and more addicted to the Trilife!! Wasn't even soar after the race, so I must be getting in better shape... Defying gravity, finding my fountain of youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment